Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Lessons Learned: My Girlfriends and I Share Everything...


…well not everything. While I'm generally unselfish when it comes to my money, my home, and my car--there are 2 things we cannot share. My Christian Louboutin pumps and my Man.
It’s a no brainer, or at least it should be that a best friend who dates or sleeps with my man, while he's my man, is no best friend at all. Instead she's crossed the line into "oh hell no she didn’t." (Which comes along with total destruction on myspace and facebook). Where the situation gets tricky is when my man and I have called it quits. Is he fair game for my single friends or is he forever forbidden fruit? My answer. It depends. It depends on 1) the relationship between me and my "friend" 2) the extent of the relationship between me and my ex and 3) the amount of time that’s passed since the relationship ended.
I'll deal with number 3 first. If the wound is fresh, then stay away. I wouldn’t want you to contract some nasty blood borne disease (or a** whooping). If some time has passed (preferably at least a year) then whether or not he is up for grabs...is up for discussion.
If he and I were married, engaged, living together or had been together a year or more then keep your greedy hands off. There are other fish in the sea. If you and I were like sisters, bffs forever, linesisters or within 2 pledge lines either way then keep your greedy hands off. Now, if he and I were only "friends with benefits" or dated for just a few months you probably wont go to hell for trying him out yourself. That is, assuming that you and I are just classmates, acquaintances, co workers, or know each other through friends.
If you are ever faced with the decision, please think about it long and hard. Don't ruin a great friendship for a one night stand. You better be sure that this man is God's perfect mate for you before you act on your impulses. Whatever you do be ready to handle the consequences and don’t be mad when your former friend runs your name through the mud.
As a practical point, let your close friends know how you feel about the issue and which of your guys are and will forever be off limits. (Friends, take note and keeps your paws off Wayne, Rhyan, Antonio, Q.) If she's truly your friend, she'll listen. The safest course is to stay away. I do understand that we are all human and at times our paths will cross and begin to form some sort of confusing train wreck. Just be thoughtful and careful--and always put yourself in the other person's shoes--just not my Louboutins!

Thanks Eb...

No comments: